So let’s talk about your new favorite website and app, Duolingo.
I haven’t seen anyone on my dash talking about this and that’s a fucking crying shame because Duolingo is the shit. You can use Duolingo to learn Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese. Even Dutch, if you’re feeling frisky and want to play with a Beta test (Dutch is not available on Android, but def. grabbable online for all of your language expanding pleasures).
What makes Duolingo so damn special? They make learning a new language into something they call gamefication. You earn points and you kick your friends’ asses with your mad linguistic skills.(Hell yes I’m at the top of my personal leaderboard)
No sass about my idioms being weak. Deutsche sprache, schwere sprache.
And it works. Like, really really works.
But what makes Duolingo so amazing is that its goal from the very beginning was to be a free and easily accessible ESL tool in order to make people more employable world wide. Even their English certification test (normally only $20!) is free right now!
And there are no ads.
The program is supported through the crowd-sourced translations the users do as part of the “immersion” training. You get practice, the Duolingo community talks about it and makes corrections and meshes the good work from different people together, and the final product becomes a translation Duolingo sells to keep the lights on. So to speak.
Will you sound like a native? Probably not. Will you be able to hold your own in a gramatically imperfect and probably clunky way in a normal conversation? Hey, it’s a damn sight better than where I’m at now, so I’m in. And so should you.
It’s super easy to find a way to use it. You can get it from the Apple Store and you can get it from Google Play. You can log in to the website and learn and find extras that aren’t on the app. You can… probably not use it via smoke signals, but I won’t stand in your way if you want to try, bro.
Go forth and be awesome in many tongues, my friends.
So I have a few websites where I buy clothes at a cheaper price and I also use some websites where they send you free samples so I thought I would share!
- So first I want to talk about Swagbucks. Here you can get points by mostly answering surveys and then you can redeem them for gift cards! They’re also connected with a bunch of sites so when you shop online you get more points. You can use this link if you wanna get extra points for both you and me :).
- Feature Points is an app that you download onto your phone and then you just have to download games, stay on them for like a minute, and you get points. You can then trade those points for gift cards! Use the referral code 0FW58Z to get 50 points when you join :)
- Dresslink is another great place and they have especially cute dresses.
- Sammydress also has cute clothes for cheaper
Now lets talk about getting free samples!
- Vonbeau is my favorite place to get freebies from. You can sign up to get texts when something new comes out since most of the samples are on supply so you need to be one of the firsts.
- hunt4freebies is another great site and I check it multiple times a day to make sure I don’t miss out on anything.
- PINCHme is a site where you can pick samples for them to send you in a box. You have to review the products but that’s super easy!
As I encounter more sites I’ll add on to this :)
Having trouble finding synonyms for ‘white’, ‘black’, ‘tan’, etc? Have any clear idea what tone you’re going for? Here’s some web pages for skin tone description and references:
Handy Words for Skin Tone (Includes palettes and comparisons)
More Tone Synonyms w/ Pictures
7 Offensive Mistakes Writers Make (includes more than just skin color)